Thursday, March 4, 2010

Spiritual Direction - the final reprise

"Because I love Jesus, his Father will love me -- He will make Himself known to me! And their Presence will give me light and joy and strength to do all that is right and good." We cannot be lax to often center our minds and hearts upon his loveliness and kindness, that we might love him more and more.

Now you have studied a number of ways in which we can be with Jesus and with His (Our) Father. It is time to take what you have learned and make your own specific plan for your life with them.

Do not be surprised if you are led in a way which others do not go. It is for you to work out with Him how you are going to to that . . . follow Him." Spirit of the Disciplines, Willard.

"When many instruments for the obtaining any virtue, or restraining any vice, are propounded, observe which of them fits thy person or the circumstances of thy need, and use it rather than the other, that by this means thou mayest be engaged to watch and use spiritual arts and observation about thy soul." Holy Living and Holy Dying: Together with Prayer, Containing the Whole Duty of a Christian, Taylor (1650).

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. -- As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." (from John 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment