Friday, July 15, 2011

Some thoughts on personality profile “instruments”:

Whether Myers-Briggs or some other tool, I always seem to “end up in the middle” for some reason? Not that that is a bad thing, it just always seems to leave me wondering “where I belong”? For instance, on the aspect of introversion or extroversion, I always end up scoring equally on both! I guess I’m an introvert from the standpoint of receiving “energy”, (loving solitude for that), but I love being with people and interacting with them, (it just wears me out emotionally rather than energizing me, so I must always return to solitude to recharge.)

For the most part, I am usually, (I say usually because I often take these assessments in different “seasons” to see where I am), a “T-J” on the Myers-Briggs scoring, although not strongly. But, I am always in the middle of “E-I” and “S-N”. What I’ve learned from all these assessments, (aptitude, personality, etc.), is that we don’t “have” to be any particular “type”. The usefulness in all these assessments is to reveal our strengths and weaknesses, and use that information to better understand God’s plans and will for our lives.

So, by all means, take and use Myers-Briggs, Strengthsfinder, LifeKeys, and other good assessments for helping determine your “gifts”, aptitudes, personality, etc. But, remember that the key to truly understanding and benefitting from them is to seek God’s guidance and wisdom regarding them. Prayer (the “listening” type) and quiet reflection are the best way to “hear” what God has to say about those things, then seeking affirmation, encouragement and accountability within community. Once you have all that . . . get out there and use it. There’s work to be done, God is making all things new (a new heaven and earth), and He desires us to be a part of that beautiful work.

Oh, and one more thing for humor’s sake (and some truth as well): My good Brother Asa James always loves to quote Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry, “A man’s got to know his limitations.” :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment