Wednesday, April 21, 2010

from Celtic Daily Prayers – prose & poetry

Seven times a day, as I work upon this hungry farm, I say to Thee, 'Lord, why am I here? What is there here to stir my gifts to growth? What great thing can I do for others - I who am captive to this dreary toil?'

And seven times a day Thou answerest, 'I cannot do without thee. Once did My Son live thy life, and by His faithfulness did show My mind, My kindness, and My truth to men. But now He is come to My side, and thou must take His place.'

From Hebridean Altars

Even though the day be laden

and my task dreary

and my strength small,

a song keeps singing

in my heart.

For I know that I am Thine.

I am part of Thee.

Thou art kin to me,

and all my times

are in Thy hand.

Alistair Maclean

I trust in Thee, O Lord,

I say, Thou art my God. My times are in Thy hand,

my times are in Thy hand.

Blessed be the Lord,

for He hath wondrously shown His steadfast love to me,

His steadfast love to me.

Psalm 31:14-15, 21

Enrich, Lord, heart, hands, mouth in me

with faith, with hope and charity,

that I may run, rise, rest in Thee.

George Herbert

As the rain hides the stars,

as the autumn mist hides the hills, happenings of my lot

hide the shining of Thy face from me. Yet, if I may hold Thy hand

in the darkness, it is enough; since I know that,

though I may stumble in my going, Thou dost not fall.

Alistair Maclean


No comments:

Post a Comment